Writing an Ancient Rome essay can be a pretty enjoyable experience since it helps the student talk about interesting events or people that have contributed to the world`s history. When writing an essay about ancient Rome, you need to pick up the most appropriate topic from the number of subjects. If you lack creative ideas or writing talent, then our handy guide will become your source of inspiration. Follow our suggestions, and you will be able to come up with an incredible Ancient Rome essay.
Ancient Rome Essay Topics
The history of Ancient Rome is particularly interesting and fascinating. In fact, you can write about anything: about an emperor, who has played a significant role in the Roman culture or about ancient Roman traditions that became a basis for the present-day customs. If you dive into more detail about this empire, you may write an essay on its internal and external conflicts. In fact, the list of topics about the Roman empire is endless. If you would like to impress your tutor with a professional approach to work, you need to organize your writing process well, as well as work with credible academic sources. If you still have no idea what to write in your paper, have a look at some creative ideas collected by our skilled writers:
- After the death of Marcus Aurelius, Rome went through a difficult period due to the lack of management skills of the emperors, who followed the famous leader. Consequently, there were numerous barbarian hordes, who threatened the safety of the empire. Write an analytical essay on the interaction of Roman emperors with the barbarian tribes;
- In accordance with the well-known legend, Rome was created as a result of the struggle between twin brothers Romulus and Remus. When Remus has won the rivalry, he named the city after himself. However, according to historians, Rome was established by Etruscan and Latin tribes. Make a comparative analysis of these two versions based on credible academic references;
- Julius Caesar and Pompey Magnus were good friends. However, after coming to power in the First Triumvirate, their bond was destroyed. Make a comparative analysis of both men focusing on their personal features, achievements, and deaths;
- The First Triumvirate of Rome is connected with the names of Julius Caesar, Pompey Magnus, and Marcus Crassus. The Second Triumvirate was the period when Marc Antony, Octavian, and Marcus Lepidus lived. Compare and contrast both major periods in Roman history and explain which one was more successful;
- The birth of the Roman Republic occurred in 510 BCE when Brutus deposed the last Etruscan king Tarquin the Proud. The Roman Empire has appeared when Augustus Caesar was named emperor in 31 BCE. Who were other people involved in creating the Roman Republic and the Roman Empire? What events have played the most significant role in Roman history?
- Julio-Claudian Emperors can be remembered for different things, among them extreme megalomania and madness. After the end of the dynasty, Rome went through numerous emperors and conflicts until the Five Good Emperors came to rule and established the glory of the state. Compare and contrast the Julio-Claudian Emperors and the Five Good Emperors.
We do hope that our ancient Rome essay ideas will help you understand what subject you would like to cover in your paper. Good luck!
Read Our Essay Sample about Ancient Rome
Ancient Rome Civilization
Ancient Rome is one of the major civilizations of the ancient world and antiquity. It got its name from the main city (Roma, in turn, named after the legendary founder - Romulus). Centre of Rome was formed within the Everglades, limited the Capitol and the Palatine Hill Quirinal. Some influence on the formation of the ancient Roman civilization had a culture of the Etruscans and the Greeks. Ancient Rome reached the peak of its power in II century A.D. What is the secret of such amazing strength and durability of the Roman Empire? And why, after the death of her she left a debt of gratitude to the memory so even once it conquered peoples? What explains Roman miracle? The main reason is probably the fact that the Romans were able to conquer not only the people but also their souls. Conquered peoples gradually introduced to the city life and the associated ancient culture, received Roman citizenship and the right of citizens of Rome themselves become Romans.
Roman civilization, as well as Greek, was the sea. The climate was soft and warm but in the north there were severe winters. The most fertile lands were the valleys rivers Po, Tiber, Arno. In ancient times, the peninsula was inhabited by many tribes; among them were the Ligurians, Umbria, Veneto and the Latins, who lived in the lower lands near the river Tiber. This area is separated by low mountains, called Latsy. Here was a future center of Roman civilization.
Basic social and economic unit of Roman society was the family, which consists of the head of the family, who was a man and a father. A wife and children subordinated to the head of the family. Roman family was mainly engaged in farming, but in the life of the Romans the military operations played a crucial part. The military operations usually started in March and ended in October. A woman has a prominent role in the myths and legends of the Roman people.
In the Roman civilization, the war was an ongoing collaborative work with a strong desire to capture new opportunities and better life conditions. The main object of conquest was the land. During the raids, the cattle, weapons and anything worse taking were seized. With the growth of the productive forces surplus products appear. The patriarchal slavery was spread and the population increased. This leads to the fact that the value of war was increasing. Firstly, Rome started fights with Sabina, Latins, Etruscans. With the establishment of the Rome Empire the expansion of the Roman territory continued. Romans turned the conquered lands into the colony, which became outposts of further gains. The main advantages of the Roman army were mobility, flexibility and tactical training, which allowed to operate in a different terrain and during the harsh weather conditions. Romans took part in the war with the Gauls and the war with the Samnites. Then Romans conquered the southern Italy. As a result, the unification of Italy opened up possibilities for a well-known unification. This gave force to improving economic, social, political and cultural structures of numerous towns, communities and tribes that were standing on different levels of historical development.
Ancient Rome made the impressive technological achievements and many inventions. Many Roman innovations were the adaptation of the earlier Greek inventions. Roman engineering, as well as military equipment, was a significant part of Roman technological superiority and legacy, Romans contributed to the construction of hundreds of roads, bridges, aqueducts, baths, theaters and arenas. Many of the buildings, such as the Coliseum, Pont du Grad (Aqueduct) and Pantheon, have still remained as the evidence of Roman engineering and culture.
Romans were known for their architecture, which was grouped together with the ancient Greek concept of "classical architecture". There were many differences between Roman and Greek architecture. In the 1 century B.C. Romans widely used concrete. Romans were also beginning to blow glass. Concrete made it possible to build paved, durable roads, many of which were used a thousand years after the fall of Rome. Through creating a comprehensive and effective road network throughout the Empire, it was greatly strengthened the Roman power and influence. The adopting the role of Rome as the crossroads of trade routes strengthen with the saying: "All roads lead to Rome." It took the position of a leading Roman building material and made possible to implement many architectural schemes. The Romans also made significant progress in improving sanitation. Especially, there were spread well-known Roman public baths, which were used for both hygienic and social purposes. Many Roman homes had flush toilets, domestic water and sewer system complex.
Wheat was the main food of the vast majority of the Romans. Following the example of the Greeks, they mostly ate it boiled as a kind of porridge. They added to the food many condiments or side dish at every opportunity. Diversity in the food was achieved by means of vegetables, herbs, olives, mushrooms, fish, wild birds and, if possible, a small amount of meat. Sure, in that time, a skilled cook could make a tasty dish of wheat porridge, but the chefs were mostly slaves, and they could not cook so nice. The meals Romans were often very poor and boring.
Some Romans tried to surprise and shock the other his clothes. For example, young Romans of rich families deliberately wore soft clothing, for example, shirts with long sleeves, bright bedspreads and transparent silk toga. Philosophers often appeared in the form untidy, in dirty, ragged clothes and worn cloaks. In ancient Rome, as in Greece, the fabrics were handmade. Mainly they used wool and linen as the material. Roman loom was much more primitive ancient Egyptian, but Rome has contributed to the technique of weaving, a rational design of the shuttle. Toga is a sign of a Roman citizen. Citizen, who was excluded, did not have the right to wear a toga. Toga was the official clothing, primarily, of wealthy people. The other clothing was tunic. Tunic was made of wool or linen. Most Roman tunic was divided into night tunic and day tunic. Tunic for men reached the knees (it was girdled at the waist). The short tunics were worn by soldiers and travelers. Women wore tunics to the ankle. Tunics with long sleeves were also designed for women (Latin tunicae manicatae). Wealthy Romans preferred to wear the white tunics. The farmers, artisans and slaves wore the tunics of dark color.
To summarize all above said, the roman ideology and values were determined by patriotism. It was not just the willingness to sacrifice their lives to their country. It was the highest respect and love for the heroic past of the Rome and the traditions of their ancestors. In Rome, it was dominated the idea of the special chosen people of the Romans nation. Their destiny was assigned to win. The business of any honorable Roman, particularly noble, was recognized policy, war, agriculture, and law-making. The Romans had the greatest ability to practice. This was the main feature of the Roman temperament that stayed memorable in the Roman culture. The Romans were well-disciplined soldiers, excellent organizers and administrators, legislators and lawyers. They achieved a great success in the field of urban planning and urban development. Despite this, they were good farmers. The Romans were also the creators of the outstanding monuments of architecture. They impressed with the perfection of engineering technology. The Roman civilization left a great heritage in the history of mankind. Romans were the people who gave mankind the law system. They also taught future generations how to be practical. Romans built mainly constructions for the good purpose. The city walls, water pipes, etc. were expensive. The Romans invented concrete, without which humanity can do nothing now. Some interesting facts that were made by Romans:
- Aqueduct "Appian water" was the first aqueduct in Rome. Its length was 16 km 617 m.
- The most powerful Marcel plumbing (length 91 km 300 m) has operated till this day.
- In the 1 century Rome was supplied with water. For example, in Rome, one person had 600 - 900 liters of water.
- In addition, now we have roads, because Romans started do this. Roads, made in Rome, could be more than 100 years without maintenance.
- We should remember that we take from Rome a lot of thinks such as public speaking, sculpture, Roman law.